Sunday 13 December 2009

Broader Autism Phenotypes

Spending the last few months reading about the suspected aetiology of autism, a lot of the theories about neurons, serotonin and oxycotin really make sense. I think anyone who lives with a child with autism, even if they are not a broader autism phenotype (BAP) themsleves will recognise aspects of their children's behaviour.

For me, as for many other parents of autistic children, learning about the continuum is a revelation but learning about BAP explains not just about the genetic link and the passing on of genes susceptible to autism but it starts to actually shine a light on your own behaviour. It was great to read this from that BAP link above:
“bored, sensitive, and isolated as I observed the social culture around me, feeling uncompelled to jump in and participate in what seemed superficially meaningless. I wasn’t entirely aloof, but I preferred being with only one friend at a time. Too many people made me edgy. Rehearsing social situations in my mind over and over and, but both before and after they had occurred, sometimes speaking them aloud to myself."
I'm still learning about the definition of BAP but informally taking some of the tests I score highly for inclusion in this category and this makes much more sense than my earlier thoughts about being on the spectrum myself, which wasn't quite a fit. I guess it's not really important in the bigger picture of getting Tokoroth the right help but as we look for answers in one place we start to ask questions in others.

1 comment:

  1. "Rehearsing social situations in my mind over and over and, but both before and after they had occurred, sometimes speaking them aloud to myself."

    Reading that makes me so glad that I'm not the only one who does it. My 'Transition Service Manager' (yes, that does mean I live in residential) really does appreciate the time and effort I have to devote to that, whereas my social worker doesn't seem to acknowledge it!

    I can spend a whole night lying awake running about 25 different scenarios of one event that is likely to happen. And then it's always the 26th that does happen, so it leads to another night running 25 scenarios of what I could have done differently...

    ReplyDelete