Thursday 3 December 2009

Conversation. Kinda.

There is strong likelihood that as he passes through various diagnostic assessments that things I record here will help build a fuller picture for the teams assessing him. So I'm going to start carefully recording the communication I have with him. The Tokoroth will ask for food and drink. He is now 38 months old. This is what passes for a conversation:

"Do you want a drink?"
"Apple Juice, please."

"Here you are. Say 'thank you'"
"Straw!"

"You would like a straw?"
"Oh, yes please."

"What colour straw would you like?"
"I would like a yellow straw."

"Here you are. Say 'thank you'"
*Slurp*

I'll ask another question, something like "what do you want to do today?" and might, possibly get a single answer ("go Grandma's house") but mostly we'll wait a while in silence before Little M will remind me: "he doesn't really speak, Dad".

As worried as I have become though, mostly about his social future, something about his quiet reserved, observant brightness makes me feel less like he is impaired and more that I am, that I am asking questions that are beneath him, insulting almost. Maybe I should dig out that troublesome quadratic equation after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment