Wednesday 9 December 2009

Lovely comment

I've received some really nice comments from people, from friends and from people who are on a similar journey with their children. As I said before I feel that we're kind of lucky in many respects, he is such a strong and amazing character we are truly blessed (you can probably tell from my tone that he's tucked up in bed asleep) but I really value some of the insights that have been shared by others. This is a comment that was left on the blog a few posts back which I think is worth sharing.
"One thing I can observe is that we never know how things are going to go. Things are not linear. Looking at where our guy was at four, we could not have predicted were our guy would be at 14. We could not even have predicted roughly what things he would be best at. Here is a guy who was not speaking in anything near full sentences until age eight and at age 14 his French teacher tells me he is one of two or three kids in the class who really "get it" and there is nothing he likes better than talking with a bunch of his friends on Skype.

Mind you, what we might consider fairly simple questions like "Have you done your homework?" can be very difficult. Go figure. There is no point trying to predict other than to predict that, like everyone, with love and encouragement, our kids will grow.

I like your blog. The approach you are taking, seems to be the one that takes the people I've seen on this journey the furthest."
If only *I* knew what approach I was taking. Something akin to Dory in Finding Nemo:



"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming!"

1 comment:

  1. Yup, that the approach I meant. In particular, I notice Dory's smile.

    ReplyDelete