Wednesday 18 November 2009

Tantrums

Tantrums are normal behavior for most children and there is no reason why children with autism should be different. Tantrums are one of the most common problems in young children with autism. They appear to go into a state of rage, panic, anxiety or fear for no reason at all. What's worse though is that they last for ages and are inconsolable. All you can do is leave them to work through it...

Unless you are in a shopping centre. I leave you with this vision: yesterday I took him to the Galleria in Hatfield because I was looking for a shoe-rack (don't ask) and he threw a fit for no discernible reason. I picked him up and carried him through a crowd of curious onlookers as he arched his back, went rigid and cried "Help! Help!"

As an adult male I can tell you that holding a child who is shouting for help is NOT FUN! Probably the only reason no-one intervened is because the expression on my face was one of someone who would quite happily accepted intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment